Thursday, September 17, 2009

Picks vs. Spread Week One Results, Week Two Picks

Off to a lousy start. Your favorite Unkle Monkee finished week one with a dismal 7-9 record against the spread. Not good if I wanted to make a living at this. Thank God I don't nor have any desire to.

What went right? As I thought, +6 for the Titans was to much a spread against the Steelers. The difference ended up only three with the game going into OT. I figured the Ravens would roll the Chiefs but was surprised in the points put up by the Chiefs. It was just a friendly reminder on why I don't even try to guess on the over/unders.

One thing I'm trying more is to follow up on trends. One thing I figured on was the Panthers not shaken off the disaster in last year's playoffs. It paid off. Jake Delhomme picked up right where he left off with turnovers and the Eagles netting me a win.

Intense rivalries are hard to pick but I usually bet against a wide spread. Case in point was the Raiders (+9) hosting the Chargers. Games like this one can go either way and the spread was just to big. Raiders lost but covered.

What went wrong? More than went right. I thought the Dolphns would put up a better fight against the Falcons. Wrong. On the other hand, I didn't think the Jags would put up such a hard fight against the Colts. I should have paid more attention to the series history. Jags usually put up a tough game for the Colts.

Three games that really bit me in the ass were Lions-Saints, Bills-Pats and Seahawks-Rams. I figured the season opener would put more spunk into the Lions and Rams. Both teams appear to have picked up where they left off last season. The Rams accomplished the only goose egg on the scoreboard. I thought the Pats would roll the Bills. I thought the Bills firing of the offensive coordinator would hurt them. It didn't.

Double Digit Spreads
There were three double spreads this week. I took two of them and lost. In the Bills-Pats, I discounted the divisional rivalry and lost. I thought the Lions would put up a better fight. Chiefs lived up the bad billing.

Week 2 Picks

As usual, I use the odds posted at FoxSports.com. Picks are in bold.

Carolina (+6) @ Atlanta - The Panthers suffered carry over from last years playoffs and the Falcons beat the other NFL surprise of 2008. The Falcons don't have the defense anywhere near what the Eagles brought last week. This is a tough game to call but I'm think the Panthers cover but lose.

St. Louis (+10) at Washington - Until the Lambs prove they can beat a double digit spread I'm going against them. The shut out doesn't help matters. Redskins

Houston (+6.5) @ Tennessee - The Texans couldn't move the ball or stop the NY Jets last week. It doesn't get any easier against the Titans.

New Orleans @ Philadelphia - two pick 'ems and two no lines. No selection due to no new info on Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb gets the start.

New England (-4) @ NY Jets - This line is about right. Patriots

Oakland (+3) @ Kansas City - Plus three for the Raiders. Are you kidding me? Raiders

Arizona (+3) @ Jacksonville - If no one is there to watch, will the game still make a noise. This is a toss up. Cards

Cincinnati (+9) @ Green Bay - To much credit to Green Bay and putting to much stock in last year's Bengals. Bengals

Minnesota (-10) @ Detroit - that the money and run. Vikes

Tampa Bay (+5) @ Buffalo - Bills ready to play and win after putting up a good fight against Pats. Bills

Seattle (+1.5) @ 49ers - This should be a pick em. Toss a coin and go with it. I would give the 49ers (-3) but bookies no more than me. 49ers

Pittsburgh (-3) @ Chicago - I think the line is about right. More than three and I'd go with the Bears but at three I go with the Steelers.

Baltimore (+3) @ San Diego - A toss up. Home field gets the Chargers an automatic (-3). Ravens

Cleveland (+3) @ Denver - A miserable game to pick from. Broncos

NY Giants (+3) @ Dallas - Dallas playing in the new digs for the home opener sets up nicely for the Giants.

Indianapolis (-3) @ Miami - Dolphins and home cooking don't amount to much. Colts

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls