Sunday, September 11, 2011

NFL 2011 Week One Picks

Again I'm trying for a full season of picks against the spread.  As usual the rules are the same.  First rule, these picks are made only for fun.  In fact I make picks to show why you shouldn't bet.  Second rule is more a disclaimer: make your bets based on my selections at your own risk.  I'm not liable for you following my stupidity.

Now the rules for my game.  In past seasons, I've made my picks based on the link of Fox Sports Odds.  In the past, spreads from four books were given.  This year it's three books.  If all three odds are the same then those are the odds I go with.  If not then majority wins and I pick for or against the majority spread.  In the event that all three odds makers are different, I will post a link to the fourth randomly selected Google search to break any tie.  I also reserve the right not to make a selection on a game.  Finally, if no odds are given I can't make a pick.

Obviously the Thursday opener is in the books so I can't make that pick.  Here we go!

Pittsburgh (+1) at Baltimore  - Always a tough game to call.  There is no love lost between these two teams and the Black and Blue Division second place team might not make the play offs.  In their last two Super Bowl appearances the Steelers have faltered.  Ravens defense is aging.  To me this is a pick em...I'm going with the home team...Ravens

Atlanta at Chicago - all three books have a different spread.  Tie break time.  Google search yielded NFL Odds and broke the tie with the Falcons (-2)  a road favorite. I see a Bears win out right.

Cincinnati (+7) at Cleveland - Both teams are a mess.  Cleveland's a more organized mess but game should be tighter than 7 either way.  Bengals cover.

Indianapolis (+9) at Houston - NFL Odds broke a tie.  Houston whipped Indy at home but lost on the road.  Peyton Manning out for the season, probably, and Arian Foster sits.  To much emotion involved but I think the Texans win handily.

Tennessee (+1) at Jacksonville - I really want to pass on this game.  Both teams are a mess but I think the Titans are going in the opposite direction of the Jags.  Titans

Buffalo (+5) at Kansas City - Chief

Philadelphia (-3.5) at St. Louis - Tons of hype around the Eagles and they might overlook the Rams in week one.  Rams

Carolina (+7) at Arizona - This a dangerous pick.  I want to take a pass but I'm going to take the Cards only because the Panthers are a really lost team at quarterback.

Minnesota (+8.5) at San Diego - my first pass of the season.  Chargers just start to slow out of the gate to warrant a selection.

Seattle (+5) at San Francisco - If the Seahawks would start a warm body at quarterback I'd favor them.  I want to a pass on this too but I'll take 49ers

NY Giants (-3) at Washington - Giants

Dallas (+6) at NY Jets - I think Jets win but Dallas covers.

New England (-7) at Miami - Tony Sparono and crew are already auditioning for next week.  Home crowd gives enough energy to Dolphins at least cover.

Oakland (+3) at Denver - pass

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls