Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dez Bryant - Draft Risk or Over Blown Media Reports?

All week I've been reading articles and hearing sports reports that Dez Bryant is the next Randy Moss. Reports state teams will be leery of drafting Bryant because of questionable character issues.

After reading Don Bank's article at SI.com, I agree and think it's a bunch of crap.

Many are questioning Bryant's character, commitment and attitude. The first thing they point to is Bryant lying to NCAA about hanging out with Deion Sanders. He made a mistake by lying about it and I agree there needed to be some kind of consequences. However a ten game suspension was to harsh. Like Keyshawn Johnson pointed out, why is Bryant questioned for hanging out with Sanders but Colt McCoy can pal around the Mannings and no one questions him.

Then there are rumors circulating that Bryant didn't attend classes, was late for practice and games while at Oklahoma State. Bryant denies the rumors and no one from the school substantiates the rumors.

In the same article, Cris Carter says there is a big difference between Bryant and Moss:
I look for a background of violence and drugs. I look for breaking the law, and Dez doesn't have those things...remember when Randy came into the league, he had the Notre Dame stuff, the Florida State stuff, and that's a lot right there
Then some made a big deal that Bryant showed up for his OSU pro day without his cleats. Like no one has ever been nervous on a job interview?

I understand why NFL teams want to turn a player inside out. They need to know as much as possible about a player they are going to invest money and coaching. Off the field behavior can be a major detriment to a product on the field. Just ask the NY Giants and Plaxico Burress. It's another thing when the media makes a stretch and uses flimsy logic to draw up conclusions to either another player or a future career.

I'm sure there is some caution surrounding Bryant by some teams. I'm also sure there are few teams that won't draft him despite a need for a receiver.

What has happened is part of the 24-hour news cycle and everybody trying to out scoop or out duel everybody else for information. News stories need publishing. Talking heads need topics. Bloggers need to blog. And facts be damned. Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

I'm the first person to jump on a player for off the field issues, dogging it on the field or being a diva. In this case, I just haven't seen it in Bryant. The only strike I see is lying about his contact with Sanders. To me that's not a major concern. Bryant has no criminal history or any major misconduct issues on or off the field. Give the young man a break and let him prove on the field whether or not he is a professional football player. There will be plenty of time later for judgment.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls