Monday, September 6, 2010

Unkle Monkee vs. the NFL Spread Week 1

Here goes the first week. I don't think I was able to do weekly numbers last year. The times and years that I've tried I haven't been very good. So first of all, this is for my pleasure and not gambling purposed. If you decide to use my selections, God help you and reread the last sentence. If you go ahead, I bare no liability or responsibility for you mistakes.

My grounds for the game:
  1. I use FoxSports.com's odds. Mainly because it was only odds I could get at work where I used to write this column. They've since blocked my access but I kept the tradition going.
  2. Which brings up other rules. Since they list four books odds, I go with majority wins for my spread.
  3. No choice is made if there is no line.
  4. If for whatever reason all four books are different, I have to look for fifth source.
Without further ado, my selections with brief commentary for this week. Picks are in bold

Minnesota at New Orleans (-5). Three of the four have Saints (-5) and one has (-5.5). The opening line I saw early in the week was Saints (-4.5). At home to open the season and a rousing Super Bowl reception should have the players and fans amped. Saints

Miami (-3) at Buffalo. Bookies and bettors not showing the Dolphins much respect. I actually find the spread to low. I think the Dolphins win handily.

Indy (-2) at Houston. The spread ranges from -1.5 to -2.5 on this game. Two books had the -2 spread. I know this game intimately as I've spent many seasons on my season ticket seat angry after watching the Colts beat the Texans. I'd almost say it's a sucker bet with the Texans taking it to the wire last few meetings only to blow it. They could keep it close and upset the spread and still lose. Given recent history my logic wants me to say Colts but I'm going with Texans

Cincinnati at New England (-4). No enough love for a Bengals team that won the Black and Blue division. Bengals might lose but they beat the spread.

Atlanta (-2.5) at Pittsburgh - The Steelers offense is in disarray with Big Ben's suspension and Byron Leftwich's possibly missing with injury. Going to take the road favorite Falcons

Oakland at Tennessee (-6.5). That's about right with Chris Johnson having a field day. Titans

Detroit at Chicago (-6). I had a tie with my FoxSport odds with a two with -6 and two with -6.5 Bears. I used oddsmaker.com for the tiebreaker. Bears

Denver at Jacksonville (-2.5) - Ineptitude of Jack Del Rio vs. the clown Josh McDaniels. I'm going to side with Del Rio here. Jaguars

Carolina at NY Giants (-7). This is kind of a gut call. I think the Giants are a bit in disarray. Panther

Cleveland at Tampa Bay (-3) - More ineptitude on both sides of the ball. For some reason I like Eric Mangini's ineptitude slightly more. Browns

Green Bay (-3) at Philadelphia. I think Green Bay makes enough stops of Kevin Kolb's debut and it's a bigger margin. Packers

Arizona (-4) at St. Louis. Sounds about right. Cards are night and day with Kurt Warner gone. Cardinals

San Francisco (-3) at Seattle - I think -3 is a bit low. 49ers

Dallas (-3.5) at Washington. Not to sure about the Cowboys offense until they show something in the real season. Redskins

Baltimore at NY Jets (-3.5). This is going to be a very interesting game for the opener. Ravens pull off the upset.

San Diego (-4.5) at Kansas City. Bad news for KC's defense. Chargers

1 comment:

Blogger said...

There is shocking news in the sports betting industry.

It has been said that any bettor needs to look at this,

Watch this or stop placing bets on sports...

Sports Cash System - Automated Sports Betting Software.

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls