Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Exciting Sports Weekend

The NFL draft. NBA playoffs. NHL playoffs. The only negative? The Astros winning.

I worked all weekend so I didn't get to enjoy the Draft Party at Texans headquarters this year. Plus I would have missed a Penguins vs. Senators match up. Turned out to be an amazing game despite the Pens losing. Ottawa scored the game winner in the third overtime.

I'm a huge fans of the Penguins going back to the Mario Lemieux days. Everybody I knew that followed hockey and wasn't from up north was bandwagonning the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky. I looked down the stat sheets and saw Lemieux's stats and decided front that day forth I would be a Pens fan. I'm still here all those years later.

Football and hockey are the only sports I can watch no matter who is playing. NBA basketball is pretty painful to watch these days. I grew up in San Antonio watching the Spurs. If it wasn't for them I doubt I'd watch an NBA game ever again. I'm from Texas, football is in my DNA.

The Spurs disappointed me during the regular season and falling to the 7th seed in the Western Conference. Now that it's playoff time, I'm impressed with the job they've done thus far with the Dallas Mavericks. They lost the first game in Dallas but took game two there and held serve in SA with two wins for a 3-1 series lead. The game swing back tonight to Dallas for a possible Spurs clincher.

Game 4 was brutal and harsh. The Mavericks came unglued when the game turned rough. Tempers flared on sided but the Spurs maintained their composure. The Mavs turned over the ball, missed shots and their offensive timing went haywire. The Spurs turned a deficit into a lead they would never relinquish.

I think a series loss should lead to the demolition of the Mavs current make up and start from scratch. Owner Mark Cuban probably won't do it because past actions show he considers the Mavs one piece away from winning it all.

Everything around Dallas has changed but one key player: Dirk Nowitski. Dallas has changed coaches, made major in season trades and tried to toughen up defensively. Yet here we are again on the brink of another major playoff meltdown. Nothing will ever beat the 2006 Finals choke of being up 2-0 on the edge of 3-0 and losing the series 4-2. The 2007 playoffs exit with the 1st seed against the 8th seed Golden State Warriors ranks a close second. 2010 we are looking at possibly the 3rd worst choke job in Mavs history.

That's all I have time for today. Work, errands and other things are calling.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls