Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm Back Astros

Like a jilted lover, I'm back with the Houston Astros. For the last two years I've not only been boycotting the Astros but praying for a complete collapse. I prayed for disaster so people would stop going to games and force Drayton McLane to either sell the team or reexamine the business model.

I've been very critical of McLane and how he's run the Astros lately.

For starters, while many view him as cheap, I think that's a misconception. This years payroll of approximately $92 million ranks 13th in the Major Leagues. In 2009, the Astros ranked 8th with a $102 million payroll. Call it anything you want but don't call it cheap.

What McLane has done has spent his money unwisely. An examination of the 2010 payroll explains what I mean.
  • Lance Berkman = $14.5 million
  • Carlos Lee = $19 million
  • Kazuo Matsui = $5.5 million
  • Roy Oswalt = $15 million
  • Wandy Rodriguez = $5 million
  • Total = $59 million
Damn, I had to double and triple check my math but it's right. $59 million on five players on a twenty five player roster. That's about 64% of salary tied to 20% of the roster. I understand why Berkman, Lee and Oswalt are highly paid. Berkman and Oswalt are icons and McLane knows they are who fans want to see. Lee was a high priced free agent signing that probably hurt the team in the long term. Matsui is a bust and Rodriguez is overpaid for what he's done so far.

That is not good use of team resources. Couple that with the fact that McLane didn't believe in paying signing bonuses to rookies and it further explains the damage. McLane failed to realize the long term savings of locking up a player at a lower cost on the rookie contract. As a result the farm system is in shambles.

So to get back to the point on why I'm back. McLane says he finally gets it and understands drafting and player development. So I'm willing to take the Astros back on a trial basis.

Deep down I'm a sports guy. I like baseball. I don't love baseball. The Astros will never break the pecking order of the Texans, Houston Cougars, San Antonio Spurs or Pittsburgh Penguins. Texans and Cougars will always be my first loves. Spurs are my hometown team and are the only reason I watch any NBA basketball. The Pens I've been in love with since the Super Mario days.

Then come the Astros. I want to enjoy baseball and the fun involved with being in a Major League city. I want to see players develop and blossom into solid major league players. I want to savor the World Series again...this time on the winning side. Baseball is a beautiful game. So with these hopes and dreams, I once again reclaim my rights as a Houston Astros fan.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls