Saturday, September 15, 2012

NFL Week 1

It's been a busy week and I haven't had much time to digest NFL play on the field.

I'm a season ticket holder to the Texans.  I live for those eight Sundays a year. I go to Reliant Stadium and unleash the anger and frustration that builds up over the off season.  By anger and frustration, I mean other stuff outside of football....like work, family and relationships.  Those eight Sundays are my escape from reality.

The disadvantage of those eight home games?  Trying to write a weekly NFL column without actually witnessing the games at a sports bar.  Which is what I do when the Texans are on the road.

So with that disclaimer in mind, I attempt to write an NFL blog about week one with only witnessing three games first hand...the Wednesday opener of Giants vs. Cowboys, 49ers vs Packers and of course Texans vs. Miami.  I do a weekly Texans blog during the season called 100% Texans Bull Site.


Dallas Bandwagon Filling Up Again
All of a sudden the Dallas Cowboy bandwagon is full after one game.  Before the game against the Giants, I read takes on how Jason Garrett is on the hot seat.  I also saw an article on asking how much longer Darth Jerrah Jones will stick with Tony Romo as his quarterback.  (Note:  I believe there is a Sith presence in the NFL.  Darth Raidah was Al Davis and Darth Jerrah was his apprentice.  With Raidah's death, Jerrah assumed title of Dark Lord of the NFL Sith.  His apprentice, I believe, is Darth Snydah, owner of the Redskins).

Dallas won 24-17.  After the game there is much celebration in Cowboy Land because they beat the defending Super Bowl champions.  To quote my cousin,"Cowboys won.  Now Giants fans can shut up."  No, dear cousin, one win doesn't change history.  Last time I checked, Giants is still engraved on the Lombardi Trophy.  In fact the Giants own two more titles than the Cowboys in this century and millennium.

Dallas fan is like former baseball stud playing softball.  They cling to those old high school glory years.  They lust longingly at pictures of the five titles the team has like a former stud high school QB remembers all the babes he bagged back then.  Now he's clinging to his state title trophy and leering hatefully at his fat wife.  Dallas fan likes to say how many titles has your team won?  A few teams can reply, hey Dallas fan, how many titles has your team won recently?

Dallas wants to be America's Team.  They can claim the title.  I don't want the Texans to be America's Team.  I don't even want them to be Texas' team.  I want them to be my team and Houston's team.

Memo to Dallas Fan:  Giants, Steelers and Patriots have won two titles since the Cowboys "glory hole" years (Darth Jerrah's words).  Steelers have exceed the number of Cowboy titles and 49ers have tied them.  The Packers and Giants, both contenders, have a shot at tying the Cowboys in number of Super Bowls won.  In other words, no one outside of Dallas Fan cares how many titles they've won.  What other fans care about is how many have they won recently.

ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Weekly and Dallas Cowboy fans have jumped on the bandwagon after one win.  How many will jump off the bandwagon after the next Romo three pick game?  I really don't care how the Cowboys do...I just want to laugh at the fans I know as the Crygirls.

49ers vs Packers
I pretty much agree with every assessment that after week one the 49ers are the team to beat in the NFC.  

I'll give some  first hand anecdotal evidence.  The only Texans preseason game I went to was when they played the 49ers.  The group of fans behind me were 49er fans.  They were in complete meltdown mode about Alex Smith's play.  They immediately determined that Smith sucked and the Niners season was lost.  Then the back up QBs came in and played with the 2nd & 3rd teams.  The Apocalypse happened.   There was no capable QB to replace Smith.

Can you say overreaction? Oh-ver-ree-ak-shun.

In a possible NFC title game preview, the Niners went into hallowed ground at Lambeau Field and knocked the Packers around. 

When you think of elite defenses, the Giants and Bears in NFC.  In the AFC, the Steelers and Ravens come to mind.  Congratulations to the 49ers, you are now not only mentioned with the Giants and Bears but have surpassed them as the class of the NFC.  

The fact that the 49ers went to Lambeau Field and pretty much dominated both sides of the ball shows how far the team has come from the Mike Singletary regime. 

One last comment I have on the 49ers is concerning Alex Smith.  Smith was the number one overall pick in the 2005 draft.  He had a mostly miss (out of hit and miss) career.  A few times the 49ers seemed like they were ready to move on from Smith.  Before the 2011 season, Smith had been subjected to multiple offensive coordinators, offensive systems and benchings.  I was there at Reliant Stadium in 2009 when Singletary bench John Sullivan (if I recall correctly) and Smith started the 2nd half.  

For whatever reason, Smith took less money to stay in San Francisco.  Smith hung in there.  He had every reason to go into a shell and give up.  He manned up, he practiced, he learned to be a leader.  His perversity paid off.  He may not be mentioned in the elite category of Brady, Brees, Rodgers or either Manning but he commands just as much respect from defensive coordinators.

Now for my weekly awards.  I have two awards.  Line of the Week goes to outstanding statistical line of the week.  The Joe Pisarcik/Vince Young Weekly Award goes to someone who is a goat or just posts an unbelievably bad stat line of the week.  I may make up other awards as warranted.

Line of the Week  
Robert Griffin III aka RB3 or RBIII
In a duel with one of the best in the game, Griffin went 19 of 26 (73.1%) passing for 320 yards and 2 TDs in his debut against Brees.  

Joe Pisarcik/Vince Young Player of the Week
Mario Williams signed a six year deal with the Buffalo Bills for $100 million with half of that guaranteed.  In his debut for the Bills, Williams posted a stat line of one tackle.  No sacks, no fumbles forced, no fumbles recovered, no tipped passes, no quarterback hurries.  Just one tackle.  So far it's the most expensive tackle in NFL history.  Better yet, Williams cried after the game that he had hands in his face all game long.  Whatever, you baby.  Thanks, Bills.  He's your problem now.  Thanks from Houston fans.

One last note.  Bills Mafia are a bunch of homos.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls