Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NFL Week #1

NFL Week #1
Somebody actually got on me for not having this out yet. What the phuk is wrong with you?

Side note: I finally got around to watching Tropic Thunder. Other than Robert Downey playing an Australian who under went a controversial race change operation, it was a pretty crappy movie.

Moving along, Thursday night football with the Titans at the Steelers was a great game. It was a real man’s game, not that Kurt Warner pretty boy scoring bullshit. It was hard hitting defense and running with a pass to keep the defense honest. It was appropriate that it went into overtime. The only draw back was Troy Palomalu going out with an injury. I hate seeing the great ones losing playing time to injury. I had a hard time choosing who to root for given that I hate both teams.

With my cheering dilemma in mind, I came up for a few simple rules on who to pull for in a game not involving your favorite team.
1. Always pull for the team playing the Cowboys.
2. Always cheer against a divisional foe.
3. If two divisional foes are playing, go for the team lowest in the standings.
4. Only root for a divisional opponent if their win enhances your team’s playoff chances or gives your team home field advantage in playoffs.
5. If the game has no affect on your team then go with your gut and cheer for the team you hate the least. For example, I hate the Steelers. I hate Kurt Warner. The question during the Super Bowl was who do I hate more: Steelers or Warner? Considering that I wouldn’t mind seeing Warner carried out in a body bag, I cheered for the Steelers to kill Warner and outcome be damned.

The Weekly Honors

Vince Young/Joe Pisarcik Player of the Week
Michael Crabtree – unsigned rookie
Crabtree, feeling that the 49ers are under bidding him, not only is holding out but is threatening to sit out the year and reentering the draft next year. Crabtree needs to Google baseball player Matt Harrington. The Colorado Rockies drafted Harrington 7th overall. He refused to sign his original rookie contract under the advice of his agent. He reentered the draft four more times. Each time he was selected lower than the previous year. He never signed or played in the major leagues.

Box Score Line of the Week
Drew Brees – 26 completions on 34 attempts for 358 yards and SIX touchdowns with one interception.

Herm Edwards Coach of the Week
Gary Kubiak – The Texans, with playoff aspirations, came out flat on both sides of the ball. The Texans made no adjustments through out the game and let a rookie quarterback making his first start carve up the defense. 15 more games like this and Kubiak will be looking for a new job.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls