Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Houston's Return to the NCAAs, Arenas Still Doesn't Get It

Houston Cougars Return to NCAA Tournament
The last time the Cougars played in the NCAAs I was still a student at the University of Houston. Eighteen years ago and then the Coogs went into the wilderness.

The three headed monster of Clyde McBrooks (Clyde Drexler, Ray McCallum, Alvin Brooks) drove the Coogs into the ground. Drexler wasn't really interested in the job or recruiting so he left after two seasons. Brooks preceded Drexler and only managed one winning season. McCallum could never right the ship so Tom Penders was brought in.

Through all the coaching changes, the Cougars were stuck in reverse. Winning seasons were far and few between. Before the Cougars run in the C-USA tournament, many were calling for Penders' head on a platter.

For now the few souls that wander the hallowed halls of Hofheinz Pavillion are silent. For one year season, albeit a shaky one, the Cougars return from the wilderness and turn to sip the waters of the NCAA Tournament.

Arenas Still Doesn't Get It
Today's edition of the Sporting News Daily features a blurb from Esquire magazine's interview with Gilbert Arenas. Gilbert's quote on his run in with Javaris Crittenton:
We didn't have no problem. It was just some fun that got out of control.
Just some fun? Bringing guns to work and pulling them out after a contentious argument on the team plane? Risking your career and breaking the law over just some fun?

Thank you Arenas for clearing the air. The whole time I was under the impression that you had a beef with Crittenton and you wanted to scare or shoot him. I understand. It's how me and friends have fun when we play poker. If I think a friend cheated, I go to his place of business with a few guns and have fun.

Arenas tries to sound contrite earlier in the article and apologizes to the wife of the Wizard's late owner Abe Pollin. It appears that maybe there is some regret after all. Then he goes to his quote about fun. I think he still can't get his mind around how grave the situation is. Not only is his career in danger but his freedom is too.

I'm no gun control advocate. I don't believe guns need registration with the government. I believe laws should focus on punishing crimes carried out with guns. Making ownership illegal or requiring a permit to do so doesn't keep the guns out of hands of criminals. Gun control laws put an undue burden on law abiding citizens.

On the other hand, I have a very healthy respect for guns. I want to keep my health so I don't play with guns. Guns aren't toys. Arenas had every right to own guns. He crossed the line when he brought it in to practice and allegedly pulled it on Crittenton. Even if he thought he was only having "fun" what happens if he goes into rage during his confrontation? His fun could have cost a life or injured a person.

Despite all the jeopardy Arenas has created for himself, it appears that he still just doesn't get how serious his fun really was.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls