Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jeremy Tyler Leaves Israel, New NFL Playoff Overtime Rules

I planned on writing up a blog about Jeremy Tyler. Tyler left high school after his junior year to compete professionally in Israel for Maccabi Haifa. He left the team earlier this week.

After searching his name on the web, I found I need to do some more reading before I write a blog. There is more information about him that I want see before I go off half cocked and rip him apart.

New NFL Playoff Rules
I don't get it. A rule change only for the postseason? You play the regular season under one set of overtime rules but change it for the playoffs? It doesn't make any sense.

I like the actual rule just not implementing it exclusively for the postseason.

The rationale behind the rule makes sense. If a team team that wins the overtime coin toss scores a touchdown on their first possession the game is over. If they kick a field goal the other team gets a possession to try to win or tie. If a field goal ties up the game then the game goes sudden death. The NFL reasons that the coin toss win gives the receiving team a higher percentage at a win. Kickers now kick more accurately and from greater distances. A team that wins the toss merely has to play for field position and kick a long field goal. A long kickoff return greatly increases the chance at victory. Now a coach has to decide to try for the field goal and let the other team have a crack at it or go for the win with a touchdown.

According to a story in the Houston Chronicle, there is a chance the owners may vote to implement the rule for the regular season. I hope they do. I'd like to see how it plays out over the course of a season.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls