Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tom Penders Out at Houston

Earlier today I was pondering the question of Tom Penders and his future as coach of the Houston Cougars basketball team.

Evidently someone answered the question for me. Penders will not return for the 2010-11 season.

Before the Cougars' run to the C-USA Tournament Championship, speculation leaned heavily toward Penders retiring.

I my mind, pure speculation on my part, Penders seemed content on collecting one last paycheck before officially retiring. He was hired to resurrect the Houston program. He helped the team recover from the disastrous run of Clyde McBrooks.

However I believe Penders took the Cougars as far as he could. I thank Penders for his contributions to the Cougar but his effort appeared to fall short. Penders trashed the UH facilities.

He didn't recruit Houston area players under the guise of not wanting to deal with AAU coaches. I think he had the Art Briles attitude that he couldn't compete with the bigger name schools so he went after some lower rated recruits or JUCOs. My problem with that thinking is you don't know unless you try. A glance at Houston roster and I count four players from the Houston area and three of them via junior college. Half the roster is built from transfers and junior college players. JUCO and transfers fit an immediate need but don't build a foundation for a program.

Penders was brought in to return the Cougars to the NCAA tournament. It took Penders six seasons to do it and a miraculous run to do it.

So I thank Penders for his effort. He brought back some pride to the Cougars this season but it was a long time coming. Penders probably reached his pinnacle at UH. Whether he retired or "retired", it is time to move on.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls