Sunday, April 20, 2008

Introduction & Spurs Win! Spurs Win! Spurs Win!

Introduction
Welcome to the initial installment of the Untitled Sports Blog. I'm hoping to have a title eventually. I just can't find any inspiration and I wanted to get the blog going. A little background of me first. I used to run a website years ago and I had a small internet following. It was a general interest site but skewed towards sports. I stopped updating it at the beginning of 2002 and just recently I thought I'd get one going again just for shits and giggles. Right now I don't have a home page yet. Just two blogs and a myspace.com site. The other blog is a general interest and topic blog. I want this one to be a sports specific blog.

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs and the Houston Cougars
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo, Houston Astros, Pittsburgh Penguins, Houston Rockets
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls

Now about me and my sports allegiances. I was born and raised in San Antonio. I graduated from Jefferson High School in 1987. I'm a University of Houston alum earning a B.S. in Mechanical Technology in 1994. Naturally I'm a Spurs fan first and have been since as far back as I can remember. As a Spurs fan, I could never fully embrace the Rockets but I do enjoy their success and keep up with them. Growing up I was a Dallas Cowboys fan. Why? Because I didn't know any better. I stopped following the Cowboys around my junior year in high school. I didn't become a diehard Oiler fan until my second or third year living in Houston. My allegiance to the Oilers didn't transfer with them to Tennessee. I then became an NFL orphan. A fan without a team. Then the Texans came to town. This season will be my third as a Texans season ticket holder. My first years in Houston I was more into college sports and the Cougars. As a UH alum from the dying days of the Southwest Conference, I'm no fan of the Aggies or Longhorns. My animosity toward Baylor football stems from the way Art Briles left the Coogs to take the Baylor head coaching the job. He left the team in a lurch while they were preparing for the Texas Bowl and took his two offensive coordinators with him. Last and least, the insignificant rice owls. The Cougars have better things to do than worry about rice.

Spurs Win! Spurs Win! Spurs Win!
Man oh man, what a game. The Spurs take the opening game against the Phoenix Suns. It didn't start out good for the Spurs. Tim Duncan was playing his ass off while the others pretty much stood around and watched. With the Spurs going down by sixteen in the first half I thought the game was going to get away from them. Face it, they hadn't been world beaters down the home stretch. I was hoping they would claw their way to within ten to twelve points before the half ended and then work from there to try and close the gap.

They freaking did it. It was a highly entertaining cardiac inducing game. Micheal Finley's clutch three to send the game to overtime. Playing again from behind in the first overtime. Duncan's unbelievable three to send the game into a second overtime. Steve Nash hitting a three to set up a possible third overtime. Then Manu Ginobili taking the inbound pass down the length of the court to lay in the game winning shot.

Timmy D, the Big Fundamental, was a monster all game. 40 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists and an improbable three pointer to force a second overtime.

The Suns had their chances. Shaq complained that the Spurs flopped their way to the win. Doesn't matter. If Phoenix had a killer instinct, they never would have let the Spurs back in it. Even after the Spurs got back in it the Suns had plenty of chances to seal the game at the end and in both overtimes. The chances were there. The Suns didn't seize them.

If the rest of the series goes like this, I'm going to have a heart attack. And I'm going to have to change my underwear at the end of each game too.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls