Saturday, April 26, 2008

And with the 18th pick

The Texans traded first round picks with the Ravens and picked up the Raven's third and sixth round picks. The Texans used the pick to take Duane Brown from Virginia Tech.

I like the pick. The offensive line has been an Achilles heal for the Texans. The left tackle position has been snake bitten since the inception of the franchise. Tony Boselli never played a down. Charles Spencer was hurt in the second game of his rookie season and may never play a down again. The Texans needed to address the position and address it now.

Some so called experts question this pick. Many had Brown projected as a second or third rounder. I'll trust the Texans' judgement on this pick. The Texans OL Alex Gibbs is a well respected coach that teaches the zone blocking scheme. While I'm not a fan of the zone block, it has worked well for the Denver Donkeys. Gibbs knows what he's doing.

For the fans that are upset I have one thing to say. The Texans were NEVER going to take a running back with the first pick. How thick headed are you? In press conferences, radio shows and in the media, time and again the Texans brain trust explicitly stated the priorities were OT and CB and that RB was coming in the later rounds. So quit with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I knew nothing about Brown until today. After reading a few scouting reports, I like the pick. Most the media draft gurus have him projected as a second or third rounder. Who cares? I don't. They all agree that he has great potential. Sports Illustrated's report says he "jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch" and can get out and block linebackers too. Sounds good enough for me. I can live with a O-lineman who can knock a rushing d-lineman in the jaw and take a linebacker too. He's going to have two good mentors in starting LT Ephriam Salaam and Gibbs.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I have to admit they are having a great draft. I think. The picked up a solid running back in Felix Jones and then added much needed help with CB Mike Jenkins. I'm surprised by the second round pick of Martellus Bennett. I thought they would pick up a WR. They need one to help take some coverage off Terrell Owens. Overall a solid first day for the Cowboys.

" When the music's over
When the music's over, yeah
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights"
-"When the Music's Over, The Doors

That's the song I want to sing to the Phoenix Suns. Wow what an implosion. I really thought they were going to put up a better fight against the Spurs. I actually thought the Spurs were in trouble based on the way they were playing towards the end of the season. I stand corrected. The trade for Shaq has turned out to be a disaster. The Suns retooled midseason specifically to beat the Spurs. The gamble didn't work out and it looks like head coach Mike Dantoni's job is in jeopardy.

Bye, Phoenix, don't let the door hit Shaq's fat ass on the way out.

Finally, Congratulations to fellow Houston Cougar Donnie Avery. The Los Angeles Rams selected him in the second round. Avery's draft projection has been all over the place but his stock rose significantly leading up to the draft. Good luck and all the best.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls