Friday, November 7, 2008

Week 10 picks vs. the Spread, Week 8 results

Week 8 Results
I was on vacation last week so there were no week nine picks. I know it's late but here are the results of week eight.

It was an awful week. I hope no one is taking my advise. In fact I beg you not to go with my picks. I you do you do so at your own peril. If you do, then you deserve what you got coming.

That said, my record this week is 5-8-1. The five I picked correctly were Giants over Steelers, Titans over Colts, Browns over Jags, Redskins over Lions and Ravens over Raiders. Keep in mind that this is against the spread.

All season long, picking the Browns to at least cover has paid off. First one that I picked them was against the Giants in which they pulled off the upset. I picked them to cover against the 'skins and they lost but still covered. I went with them again against the Jags and it paid off.

I don't look for or read publications for trends. I'm just going on my scant knowledge of the game. The only trend I've spotted has been the Browns at least cover.

One game that I thought was a lock was the 49ers over the Hawks. The 49ers are in more disarray than I thought. Another game that shocked me was the Texans holding the Bengals to six points. The Chargers didn't cover against the Saints and the Dolphins shocked the Bills. Picking against the Dolphins is becoming a high risk move.

On to the week ten picks.

Week 10 Picks vs. the Spread

For reference purposes, I use Fox Sports odds page at Fox Sports NFL Odds.

Jaguars(-6.5) @Lions - Lions are hapless and Jags are a big disappointment this season. Lions though help an ailing Jaguars get back in the win column.

Titans (-3) @Bears - Rex Grossman still gets the Titans only a three point favorite? I think the Titans win by more.

Bills(+3.5) @Patriots - The Bills were an early surprise but lately they haven't been living up to suddenly high expectations. The Pats are plodding along in the Tom Bradyless season. Patriots

Saints(+1) @Falcons - Reggie Bush is still out but Drew Brees can put up high numbers despite who is out. Falcons are definitely a much improved team. I'm going with the home cooking in this probable slugfest. Falcons

Rams(+9) @Jets - Bruce Haslett's team has come back to earth after the Rams fired Scott Linehan. Brett Farve hasn't been a world beater lately but he doesn't have to be against the Rams. Jets

Seahawks(+8) @Dolphins - Pick against the Dolphins at your own peril. Seahawks are imploding despite a week eight blowout of the niners. Dolphins

Packers(+2.5) @Vikings - The Vikings are coming off a win against the Texans. It was the Texans. Brad Childress is 0-5 as head coach of the Vikings against the Packers. Packers

Panthers(-9.5) @Raiders - Al Davis is very unhappy and is now looking to cut players instead of coaches. Panthers are proving to be a strong team and emerging as a contender in the NFC. Panthers

Chiefs(+15.5) @Chargers - No QB. No RB. No win for the Chiefs. The question is the line to high? No. The Chiefs are a complete mess right now. While the Chargers are struggling, they have enough to blow out the Chiefs. Chiefs

Colts @Steelrs - No line. Only VegasInsider is offering a line (+3) Colts. My policy here is to go with the majority in event of discrepancies. No selection here. The no line is due the injury status of Ben Roethlisberger still up in the air.

Giants(+3) @Eagles - The best team in the NFL an underdog? The Giants should win. Philly has struggled against good defenses. Giants

Ravens(+) @Texans - No line with the Texans expected to win straight up. The game opened with Texans (-2). Texans have struggled mightily against teams that blitz frequently. Ravens

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls