Friday, October 10, 2008

NFL Week #5, Week #6 fo Unkle Monkee vs. the Spread

NFL Week #5
After Sunday's melt down by the Texans, I'm not in my usual mood to write about the NFL. So this is a very abbreviated version of my weekly NFL idiocy.

Joe Pisarcik/Carson Palmer Player of the Week: Sage Rosenfel. Three turnovers in the final minutes of what looked to be a Texans victory allowed the biggest collapse of a football game I've witnessed in person. Congrats to the Texans. That took some real creativity to blow a lead like this one. A big middle finger to the Texans last week.

Regardless, I'll be there again this Sunday. I plan on being there every year even if I have to pay someone to wheel me in there when I'm old and drool is running out of my mouth.

Week #5 vs. the Spread Results
This week I did much better than the previous two weeks with a 7-3-2 record. The Titans and Broncos tied the line so those two games were a push. I don't see any really big shockers other than the Chargers losing to the Dolphins. I had a hard time in taking the Cowboys to cover at -17 but the Bengals have been terrible. Should have gone with my gut. The only other game that I lost was the pick 'em between the Bills and Cardinals. I went with the Bills.

In the Redskins vs. Eagles, I figured the 'skins would at least cover if
they didn't win and that worked out for me. I knew -3.5 for the Bears at
Lions was to small a line.

Week #6 Picks
Last week I some what reversed a downward trend. Hopefully I can continue the upward trend.

Raiders(+7) @Saints - Very few things make me happier than a Saints loss. Believe me if you've ever been around their fans you'd understand. Unfortunately I think the Raiders will be trampled by the Saints.

Raven(+4) @Colts - This was a tough choice. The opening line was -6 Colts but since tightened up. I think the Colts just might have enough to overcome the Ravens defense. Colts

Bengals(+5.5) @Jets - I'm surprised the line is this low. I'd expected a higher spread given that Brett Farve is liable to go off against a shaky Bengals defense. Jets

Panthers(+1) @Buccaneers - To me this comes down to how the Bucs defense holds up against the Panthers running game and Steve Smith. Panthers

Lions(+13) @Vikings - Lions are in complete disarray. Getting your ass kicked by Kyle Orton is embarrassing. Take the Vikings.

Bears(-3) @Falcons - This might be my upset special. I'm going with the Falcons

Dolphins(+3) @Texans - The Dolphins bring Ronnie Brown and the Wildcat formation to Houston. The Texans still have to be spinning from the major collapse against the Colts. It will be interesting on how they respond. Texans

Rams(+13.5) @Redskins - Why is there even a spread on this game? Redskins

Jaguars(+3.5) @ Broncos - Another slugfest for the Broncos and opponent. I figure like the other shoot outs that the Broncos win.

Eagles(-5) @49ers - I think the spread is to low. I think the Eagles win by a healthy margin.

Cowboys(-5) @Cardinals - Cowboys cover but lose. That's what I hope and never bet on hope. Cowboys

Packers(+1.5) @Seahawks - Aaron Rodgers doesn't seem to be bothered by his injury and the Hawks are still short of quality receivers. Packers

Patriots(+5) @Chargers - Pats are mediocre at best without Tom Brady and Chargers' LT is hobbled. Chargers though have enough other firepower to overcome a shaky and aging Pat's defense. Chargers

Giants-(9) @Browns - Giants are due to stumble soon but not this week. Browns

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls