Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Unkle Monkee vs. the Spread Week #4, Week #5 picks

Not unlike my grades in my first years in college, my score against the spread is sinking quick. This week I went a pathetic 4-9 against the spread.

The only games I managed to win were the Panthers, Saints, Redskins and Bills. I whiffed big time on every other game. The Broncos had a big let down against the Chiefs. The Cards took an unexpected woodshed beating by the Jets. The Vikings continue to tailspin out while the Titans continue to improve. The Bears defense is going to make picks involving the Bears tough.

I'll try better this week and see if I can reverse my downward trend. There would be nothing more embarrassing that a goose egg.

On to the games!

Colts (-3) @ Texans - My heart is telling to go with my hometown Texans. My head tells my heart to shut the f*** up. I listen to my head, Colts

Titans(-3) @ Ravens - QB Joe Flacco looked great in that first half. This will be the toughest defense the Titans face to date. I originally circled the Ravens on my cheat sheet but am having second thoughts. Flacco was rattled in the second half by the Steelers defense for a bit. He did recover but enough damage was done. I expect the same from the Titans. This is a tough choice but I'm going sticking to my pick of the Ravens.

Chargers(-6.5) @ Dolphins - The Chargers defense is no Patriots defense. Ronnie Brown doesn't go off on the Bolts. Taking the Chargers easily.

Chiefs(+9.5) @ Panthers - The Chiefs played well for one week and upset the Broncos. The Broncos defense is made of pappier mache. Panthers are tougher. Panthers

Redskins(+6) @ Eagles - This hinges on if Michael Westbrook is fully healthy. My guess is that he plays in a big divisional matchup. Jason Campbell has improved light years since the opening loss debacle to the Giants. The Eagles defense is more physical than the Cowboys. I see the Eagles winning this one straight up but not covering. I take the road dog Redskins again.

Bears(-3.5) @ Lions - I think -3.5 is to low even for the inept Bears offense against a hapless Lions. Matt Forte leads the charge as the Bears win handily.

Falcons @ Packers - no line on this one so far. I don't know if one will be set or why one isn't set yet. I can't pick if there is no line to pick against.

Seahawks (+9.5) @ Giants - Giants a playing some mean football and the Seahawks are barely getting their receivers back. Giants

Buc(+3) @ Broncos - The Broncos offense was only held in check by Jay Cutler miscues. That doesn't happen this week. The offense is scary good but the defense is scary bad. Regardless I'm taking the home favorites. Broncos

Bills (PK) @ Cardinals - It's a pick 'em with a slight favorite to the home team. Bills have been more impressive as of late than the Cards. Taking the Bills to win straight up.

Bengals (+17) @ Cowboys - Whew that's a nasty spread. Cowboys are that good early on and the Bengals are that bad. Don't even know if Carson Palmer will play. Take the Cowboys and the large spread.

Steelers(+4) @ Jaguars - Jags had a difficult time against the Texans offense. The Steelers though are with out Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall is out for the year. This is another tough one but I'm going with the Jags.

Vikings(+3) @ Saints - Vikings have been a massive disappointment and the Saints are hurting. The Saints don't have much of an defense in my opinion. Look for Adrian Peterson to put up some big numbers. Vikings

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls