Friday, December 19, 2008

Drayton McClane's Cheap Ass Strikes Again

Drayton McClane strikes again. I've been silent lately on the Astros. Mainly cause there isn't much to talk about. McClane opened up the bank for two retread players. Not wanting to tender an offer to Ty Wigginton. I'll be honest, I don't know what Wigginton would have cost the Astros. I'm assume quiet a bit since McClane let him walk. Looking at his numbers, they were not bad and he had a little pop in the bat with 23 homers and 58 RBIs with a .285 average over 111 games.

So who does the Astros brain trust bring in? Aaron Boone. A 35 year old retread. It's just a sorry ass signing by cheap ass McClane. What the Astros get is an 11 year vet who batted .241 for 4 HRs and 28 RBIs. That's just a freaking terrible trade off in order to save a few bucks.

Ever since McClane's ego ran off Gerry Hunsicker, the Astros have wallowed in mediocrity. McClane's goal is remain marginally competitive. Just enough to tease and keep fans interested through out the season. Sprinkle in a few big name veterans like home grown Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt and an occasional big free agent splash like Carlos Lee and he can point and say look at all he's doing to get them to win.

I've harped on it before and I'll continue to harp on it. He's to cheap to give signing bonuses to drafted players. As a result the farm system is rated the worst in the league. There are virtually no prospects in the pipeline to make the major league club. How telling is it that the Astros signed aged Mike Hampton instead of bringing up a couple of young arms to compete for the starting job? I think it points to the complete breakdown of the minor league clubs.

Mike Hampton. That signing is just a complete joke. They are bringing a broken down player who more than likely won't last the season. He had 13 starts in 2008 and was out completely for 2006 AND 2007. I'd rather the Astros take a chance with a young arm who just might last the season. Oh that's right, there is no one coming up.

Once again I will vote by my wallet and not put any money directly into Drayton McClane's team by going to the games. I know I'm just one person but I've had it with the Astros and McClain's ego getting in the way of what has been and could be a premier franchise in the Major Leagues.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls