Sunday, January 11, 2009

NFL Playoffs

I started writing this as the Steelers vs. Chargers playoff game wound down. Chargers put up a fight for what? A half?

The Eagles and Giants game was a good game. I can't say that I'm surprised with the result. It's quiet obvious that the Giants weren't the same since Plaxico Burress went hunting late night at a club. It's a shame that one players performance can affect a team's season like this. It's a bigger shame that no one on the team could step up and at least fill his shoes partially.

The Cardinals continue to surprise. I thought they would get smoked by Atlanta in the wildcard round. Then I thought they would get routed by the Panthers. Guess they showed me. Now they host the Eagles in the NFC Championship next week. And I had left them for dead.

Why did the Panthers even show up? They were just flat out embarrassed by the Cardinals. They were out played on both sides of the ball. No excuse for a performance like that. It's every body's fault they played like that. Coaches and players shouldn't show their faces around town for a while. It was a pathetic effort for a team that is more talented than what they showed on the field. They shouldn't even be able to look at themselves in the mirror after that stinker.

I'd call the Raven's upset of the Titans a mild one. The game was the sloppy low scoring affair that I expected. Both teams were flagged numerous times but the Titans made the most mistakes.

Quarterback Kerry Collins threw one interception while LenDale White fumbled on the Raven's 17 near the end of the half and Alge Crumpler fumbled at the goal line with nine minutes left in the game. The Ravens didn't turn the ball over once. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco almost stepped out the back of the endzone for a safety late in the game. Post game replays showed he didn't step out. The Ravens clearly caught a break when a delay of game wasn't called on the game winning drive.

I was over at titansonline.com just to read the reactions. For the most part they were level headed. No calling for Vince "Son of Zeus" Young to start. No one had to be talked in from a ledge. There were a few whining about the safety not being called and others crying about the no call on the delay of game. The last gripe is legitimate but one also has to consider the three turnovers. If the Titans don't shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers, they probably win the game.

Such is life. You win some and you lose some. The Ravens just played a better game than the Titans.

And Jason Whitlock hasn't emailed me back on me calling him out on his Dungy/Sproles lovefest but blaming the Colts loss squarely on Peyton Manning's shoulders. I know he gets a ton of emails but I've called him out so many times I figure by now he'd answer one of my accusations.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls