Sunday, October 4, 2009

NFL Week 4 Picks

This is on the fly. Better late that never. Last week was pretty busy. I didn't get to post week one results or week two picks.

Kick off is in a few hours so here goes.

Rule modification: Last season, the rule was majority rules on point spreads. I use foxsports.com's NFL odds page. Five books are reported. The rule worked out well until this week. I couldn't make a pick on three games if the rule applied. I'm changing the case of a 2-2-1 tie, 1 wins. Example: In the Chargers vs. Steelers, two books have it Chargers +7, another two have it Chargers +6.5 and one has it Chargers +6. I'll use the +6 in this game.

Detroit(+10) at Chicago - Lions won for the first time in a century. Believe it or not I'm having a tough time making a choice. I'm going out on a limb with Lions losing but covering.

Oakland (+9) at Houston - Another tough one to call. The Texans have twice been home favorites and lost. Oakland covered the one double digit spread against them and are 2-1 against. I'm going with the trend and calling the road dog Raiders to lose but cover.

Titas (-3) at Jacksonville - Titans are in a 0-3 hole while Jacksonville is chaos despite the win against the Texans. Titans

NY Giants (-10) @ Kansas City - I'm usually hesitant to pick for double digit spread. KC is nearly always the exception. NY Giants

Baltimore (+2) at New England - No brainer. Ravens

Seattle (+10)at Indianapolis - The Seahawks are the walking wounded. Again. Colts

Tampa Bay (+7.5) at Washington - Two hapless teams. Bucs cover and maybe win.

Cincinnati (-7) at Cleveland - Bengals

Buffalo at Miami - Pick 'em. Buffalo

NY Jets (+7.5) at New Orleans - two contrasting styles of football. Rough and tumble Jets against the high flying Saints. Jets

Dallas (-3) at Denver - I want to give Denver the benefit of the doubt for now. The Cowboys played crappy at home and now must take the crap show on the road. Broncos

St. Louis (+10) at San Francisco - It's a safe bet to take the double digits in this game. 49ers

San Diego (+6) at Pittsburgh - It's to large a spread against the Chargers.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls