Wednesday, September 10, 2008

NFL Week 1, Unkle Monkee vs. the Line

All is right in the world, despite the Texans loss, with the opening of 2008 NFL season. Herm Edwards still sucks, Matt Millen is still the worse general manager in football and the Texans fans on the message boards are a bunch of idiots.

First off my player of the week: Michael Turner, RB Atlanta. After being LaDainian Tomlison's back up since 2004, he cashed in big time with a multi year mega contract with the Falcons. I had my doubts if he was going to be the big name back capable of putting up big numbers but I took him in the second round of my fantasy league draft. For one week he paid off: 220 yards on 22 carries with 2 TDs.

Atlanta is trying to put the Michael Vick and Bobby Petrino debacles behind them. Turner will help them forget and it appears so will rookie quarterback Matt Ryan. While Ryan didn't put up eye popping numbers, he did throw for a touchdown on his first ever NFL pass. If Turner keeps running like he started, Ryan won't have to have big numbers. He'll just have to take care of the ball and throw enough to keep defenses honest.

Big rumor out of Tennessee is that Vince Young may have quit on the team in the fourth quarter. Alleged All-Universe (if you talk to UT fans) Young is under huge pressure in Tennessee. For all the local fans still pissed that the Texans passed on Young there just as many Titans fans pissed that the team passed on Jay Cutler. Cutler was a local hero playing at Vanderbilt University like Young was a local high school/UT hero here. The Titan fans have definitely turned on Young. He's been booed through out the preseason and this week when he came back on the field after an injury. I'm definitely of the opinion that Young doesn't have the arm for the NFL. Now I'm starting to think he doesn't have the mental make up to be in the NFL.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080908/SPORTS01/809080337/1027
Despite Young's lack of NFL success, the Titans find ways to win and that's mostly because of their strong defense. Also despite his lack of NFL success, writers like the Houston Chronicle's Rusty Tromboner (Richard Justice) and Jabba the McClain (John McClain) will continue to ride his jock. Look up "rusty trombone" if you don't know what it is. Justice earned the nickname from one of the UH message boards.

It may turnout to be a long season for the Pats now that Tom Brady is out for the year. I hate that he's out cause I'd like for nothing more than to see him continue to out play Peyton Manning.

It was good to see Donovan McNabb looking healthy again. He had a fantastic game against the St. Louis Cardinals. McNabb is one of my all time favorite players. I really hated watching him struggle the last two seasons. As much as I want fellow Houston Cougar Kevin Kolb to succeed in the NFL, I don't want it at the expense of McNabb.

This week's Joe Pisarcik Player of the Week is Carson Palmer. 10 completions on 25 attempts for 99 yards to go with one interception earns him this dubious distinction. Thanks to Palmer's performance and TJ Houshmenzedah's I lost my opening week in fantasy football by four points.

Finally the depressing thought of the week. The Houston Texans. I expected them to lose to Pittsburgh. I didn't expect them to get manhandled like red headed step children. The overall performance was pretty pathetic. The only player to show up was Mario Williams. He picked up where he left off last year with two sacks, a forced fumble and six solo tackles. My major concern for the Texans is the defense. The first teamers were pushed around all preseason and now in week one. I have a feeling defensive coordinator Richard Smith might not survive the season. Of course, I think he should have been let go during the 2006 season. I think the offense will be fine though.

I think the Texans will have a tough time against the Ravens this week but will somehow pull out a win.

Well, I've put in a solid three day work week. I am out of here until next Monday. Have a good one. It's an all football weekend for me. I'll be out at UH to watch them play Air Force and then to the Texans on Sunday.

Against the Line
I went 10-5 versus the Vegas line this week. I didn't include Thursday's opener since I posted after the fact.

Tom Brady's injury greatly affected the game against KC and the Pats failed to cover for me. Turner's big day against the Lions cost me another game. Seattle's flat out beating, Chicago's upset of Indy and the Begnals going Bungles against the Raven's round out my losses.

On the winning side of the ledger, I went against the line and took the underdogs with the Titans, Saints and Panthers.

I'll post this weeks picks on Friday. I'm just curious on how I'll do against the line for a whole season. I've never measured myself before.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls