Friday, September 19, 2008

NFL Week #3 Picks

This is week three in my season long experiment on how I well or bad I can pick against the line. In the mess that was Hurricane Ike, I never got around to making week two picks. Hopefully that's the end of missing a week and no more hurricanes. The record so far is 10-5 in my favor.

For reference, I'm using NFL Odds from FOX Sports. In case of the line being different for different odds makers, I go with the majority.

Chiefs (+6) @ Falcons - This one is a tough choice. The Chiefs are that bad and Larry Johnson is very unhappy plus Herm Edwards sucks. Falcons

Raiders (+9.5) @ Bills - The Bills are a surprising team and shouldn't have a let down on the Raiders. Bills

Texans (+5) @ Titans - Until the Texans show they can play defense I can't pick them. So I'm taking the Titans

Bengals (+13.5) @ Giants - Giants have a chip on their shoulders and the defense should keep Carson Palmer's awful start in tact. Giants

Cardinals (+3) @ Redskins - Redskins look better in week two than in week one but the Cards are looking even better. Cardinals

Dolphins (+12.5) @ Patriots - I'm going out on a limb on this one. The fins are bad but we still have an unknown commidity in Matt Cassel. He's been just good enough so far and the talent of the Pats have carried them thus far. I'll take the Dolphins in this contest.

Buccaneers (+3) @ Bears - The unwritten rule is if it's an even match up, give the home team -3 points favorite. I think the Bears are a little bit better than -3 against the Bucs. I think Matt Forte and the defense do just enough to beat the spread. Bears

Panthers (+3.5) @ Vikings - A quarterback change and a hurting Adrian Peterson make this a tough pick. The Panthers are a hot team right now but the Vikings are already desperate. I'll go with the hot team right now. Panthers

Rams (+9.5) @ Seahawks - The Rams are just awful and don't look like they will improve any time soon. They are just what the doctor ordered for what ails the receiver depleted 'hawks. Seahawks

Lions (+4) @ 49ers - The Lions should be able to put up some points and the 'niners should too. I think the 49ers out shoot the Lions at home. 49ers

Saints (+5.5) @ Broncos - Jay Cutler and company are on fire. Saints are a little staggered after losing to the Redskins. I'm taking Cutler's arm and the Broncos.

Steelers (+3) @ Eagles - Donovan McNabb is healthy and the offense is firing on all cylinders. The Steeler offense stumbled last week after routing the Texans on opening day. I see no reason the Eagles will slow down. It's just a question if the defense can get that one stop they couldn't get against Dallas. I'm going with the home team in this one. This is one of the rare places where the Steeler fans won't be a vast number as visitors. Eagles

Jaguars (+5.5) @ Colts - Both teams stumbled out of the gate but Peyton Manning is the deciding factor here. Colts

Browns (+2) @ Ravens - I think two points is too close for this game. Despite a rookie quarterback, the Ravens will win by more. Ravens

Cowboys (-3) @ Packers - The Packers are the only home dog this week. It's not December so the Cowboys should win. I'm taking the Cowboys as the only road favorite this week.

Jets (+9) @ Chargers - LT is hurting, Shawn Merriman is out for the year and Brett Farve is now a Jet. They might not win but I'm taking the Jets and the points.

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls