Thursday, September 25, 2008

Unkle Monkee vs. the Spread - Week 3, Week 4 Picks

Week #3 Unkle Monkee vs. The Spread

What a way to start off the day. Get to work, log in to my computer and check how I did this week against the spread.

Week 1 I went 10-5 (excluded the Giants vs. 'skins) and week 2 Hurricane Ike got in the way. Week 3 wasn't so good. I went 8-8 vs. the spread.

A break down of what went right and what went wrong:

The Herm Edwards Era is probably closing in KC. Falcons had little trouble covering.

Despite the rumors swirling about Lane Kiffin's demise, the Raiders managed to cover and put an "L" on my record.

Carson Palmer made a cameo and the Bengals covered. I didn't expect the Bengals to improve against a tough Giants defense but they managed to keep the score close enough so that the Giants didn't cover.

I really thought that the Cards would win but the Redskins look like they've made weekly improvements under new head coach Jim Zorn.

I didn't think the Pats would cover against the 'fins with Matt Cassel at quarterback but I didn't think Ronnie Brown would just go off like that either. I just thought +12.5 was too much with Cassel at QB.

Taking the Bears and Panthers bit me in the ass. I thought the Bears would beat the Bucs and that the Panthers would play better against the Vikes. I lost both those games straight up. Same thing with taking the Colts and Jets. I thought the Colts would win straight up but they lost and cost me. I thought the Chargers would win but fail to cover. They routed the Jets. Ouch. The Broncos lost a big lead and failed to cover for me.

The Packers were the only home dog this week against the Cowboys. I played my gut and went with the Cowboys. If they game was in December I'd probably have taken the Pack.

This week's record: 8-8
Over all record: 18-13

Week #4 vs. the Spread
I'm trying to bounce back from last week's 8-8 showing. For reference, I'm using FoxSports.com's page showing NFL odds

Broncos(-10) @ KC. The Bronco's defense gave up 32 and 38 points against the Chargers and Saints, respectively. If the Chiefs had any kind of fire power I'd take them but they don't. Broncos

Browns(+3.5) @ Bengals - Both teams have been awful to start and both head coaches are on the hot seat. I'll bake the Bengals.

Texans(+7) @ Jaguars - Texans still looking to get on track. It won't be this week. Go with the Jaguars.

Cardinals(+1.5) @ Jets - In a game close I go with who I think will win straight up. Cardinals

49ers(+5.5) @ Saints - Line opened at +6.5 for the niners. One book has it at +4.5. They showed some life last week but I don't think the Saints fail to cover. Saints

Falcons(+6.5) @ Panthers - How will Michael Turner do against a tough Panther's defense on the road? This line has been the biggest move yet of the season. It opened at +9. I'll take the Panthers to beat the spread.

Vikings(+3) @ Titans - Vikes are already a team in flux with last week's quarterback change. I think they will win though. Vikings

Packers(+1) @ Buccaneers - Take Aaron Rodgers and the Pack to win on the road. Packers

Bills(-8) @ Rams - No contest. Bills

Chargers(-7.5) @ Raiders - Big rivalry game on the road for the Chargers. They fail to cover. Raiders

Redskin(+11) @ Cowboys - Another big rivalry game I think the Cowboys suffer a let down after a big win in Green Bay. Redskins

Eagles (-3) @ Bears - Da Bears have the defense but the offense, outside of Matt Forte, is offensive. Eagles

Ravens (+5) @ Steelers - Not contest or explanation needed. Steelers

No comments:

My Sports Allegiances

My favorite teams are in no particular order: Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs(NBA champs 99, 03, 05, 07, 14) and the Houston Cougars, Pittsburgh Penguins (Stanley Cups 91, 92, 08, 16, 17)
My secondary teams are: Houston Dynamo(MLS Champs 06, 07), Houston Astros (NL Champs 05), Houston Rockets (NBA Champs 94, 95)
Teams I Hate: Anything out of Dallas
Teams I Enjoy Seeing Lose: Texas Longhorns, Texas A&M Aggies, Baylor Bears football
Teams that are Insignificant: rice owls